Photonian
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 303 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 am
Latest topics
» for sale Samsung Galaxy S5 Unlocked 32GB-$400elogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 am

» for sale Apple iPhone 6 16GB — $450USDelogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 am

» F/S Apple iPhone 6 16GB New Factory Unlocked $375
by kainelag9 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 pm

» Canon EOS 5D Mark III , Nikon D800E 36.3MP (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Samsung Galaxy S5,BLACKBERRY PORSCHE DESIGN P9981 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Apple iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G 128GB,Apple iPad 4 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 am

» Original Apple Iphone 5S 64GB Unlocked $350
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 am

» Indian Landscape & Travel Photography
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm

» Can TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood meet your standard?(www.ausgolfsets.com)
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm

» You can definitely run away with Callaway RAZR X(www.e-shopfair.co.uk) PINEHURST, N.C. -- Comparisons were inevitable with the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open being held on the same [url=http://www.e-shopfair.co.uk/Callaway-RAZR-X-Irons-for-sale-1175.htm
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

» FS : Brand new Apple iPhone 5 64gb, Blaclberry Porsh..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Get the brand new Apple Tablet iPad 2 16GB(Wi-Fi + 3G) for sale..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Nikon price list
by angelaz Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Top posters
simmon (5065)
What is Extension Tube I_vote_lcapWhat is Extension Tube I_voting_barWhat is Extension Tube I_vote_rcap 
CY (4153)
What is Extension Tube I_vote_lcapWhat is Extension Tube I_voting_barWhat is Extension Tube I_vote_rcap 
maxgoh (2938)
jonathan (1520)
Jameslye (1072)
Fred (964)
Hanne (935)
derricklim (791)
changshong (721)
Avex (656)

What is Extension Tube

4 posters

Go down

What is Extension Tube Empty What is Extension Tube

Post by maxgoh Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:18 pm

What Is An Extension Tube?
This is actually a tube, with no optical elements, having ways for transmitting electronic signals, which can be mounted between the lens and the camera. The extension tube will force the system to focus at closer distances, the result being a recorded image with higher magnification ratio compared to the lens alone (the magnification ratio being the ratio between the size of the image on the focal plane of the lens and the size of the real image). Just beeing able to get closer to the subject you obtain a larger magnifiction ratio. "12", "25", etc. in the name of the device shows the length of the light path through the tube. Extension tubes can be mounted one on another, as many as you want - just be careful to obtain a mechanically ensemble which is stable.

Canon makes tubes with 12mm and 25mm extension, other manufacturers may produce also other dimensions.

Some authors give you mathematical formulas for calculating the magnification ratio using an extension tube, based on length of the tube and focal length of the lens. Modern lenses vary their focal length in the focusing process, so these formulas may become quite complicated, depend on the used lens and are often based on guesses on how certain lenses work. I do not use these formulas. Just know the lens you have, the tube you use and have a look on Bob Atkins tables - see HERE. As a general rule just remember that the magnification ratio is higher when the ratio between the extension length and the focal length is larger.

Advantages Of Using Extension Tubes
Extension tubes are relatively cheap macro accessories. Much cheaper than a specialized macro lens. According to Bob Atkins tables mentioned above, you can get magnification ratios of 0,5x - 1,0x, and even higher than 1x, when using normal or wide focal length lenses. For tele lenses the gain in magnification ratio is modest.

But even so, a medium or tele lens can be made to focus closer, which can be an advantage in some situations. For example EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM has a minimum focusing distance of 1,2m. Using the EF 25 II tube you will be able to focus at 83cm and will get a slightly higher magnification ratio compared to the lens alone.

The extension tubes do not contain optical elements, so they do not interpose "glass" between the subject and the sensor / film. Thus the quality parameters of the recorded image are unaltered.

Disadvantages Of Using Extension Tubes
A minor disadvantage is that you loose some light because of the longer travelling path from the lens to the sensor. Anyhow this is compensated automatically by the TTL measurement system of the camera.

A more important disadvantage is the one that exactly at the focal distances where you get large magnification ratios you need to get very close to the subject. Focucs distance is measured from the subject to the plane of the sensor / film. In this length you have the lens and the tube. So the real working distance may become only a few cm. For example, if the needed distance to subject in order to get a certain magnification ratio is 30cm, if the lens and the tube measure 22cm, and if the distance between the lens mount and the sensor / film plane is another 5cm, you end up with a working distance of only 3cm. Not very funny!

Finally, the ensaemble lens - extension tube will not focus to infinity. So, you will always need to remove the extension tube for taking normal pictures. A specialized macro lens can be used for macro work and for normal photography.

How To Choose An Extension Tube?
Here it is simple. You just need to make sure the selected tube is compatible with your camera. I mean that it has the proper system of transmitting the electronical signals from the camera to the lens. This information can be found in the technical documents of the manufacturer of the tube.

You may check above invoked Bob Atkins tables to see if your ensemble lens - extension tube allow magnification ratios you need.

(info from www.fpix.eu)
maxgoh
maxgoh
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

http://www.maxgohphotography.com

Back to top Go down

What is Extension Tube Empty Re: What is Extension Tube

Post by Fred Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Huhu... That's my macro equiptment man~ Muahahhaa,,, Cheap and cute... But mine dun hv any eletronic transmission so need total manual focus.... Very Happy Thanks max for the information~ Smile
Fred
Fred
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

What is Extension Tube Empty Re: What is Extension Tube

Post by damen Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

thanx for sharing information max...
damen
damen
Trainee
Trainee