Photonian
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 303 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 am
Latest topics
» for sale Samsung Galaxy S5 Unlocked 32GB-$400elogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 am

» for sale Apple iPhone 6 16GB — $450USDelogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 am

» F/S Apple iPhone 6 16GB New Factory Unlocked $375
by kainelag9 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 pm

» Canon EOS 5D Mark III , Nikon D800E 36.3MP (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Samsung Galaxy S5,BLACKBERRY PORSCHE DESIGN P9981 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Apple iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G 128GB,Apple iPad 4 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 am

» Original Apple Iphone 5S 64GB Unlocked $350
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 am

» Indian Landscape & Travel Photography
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm

» Can TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood meet your standard?(www.ausgolfsets.com)
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm

» You can definitely run away with Callaway RAZR X(www.e-shopfair.co.uk) PINEHURST, N.C. -- Comparisons were inevitable with the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open being held on the same [url=http://www.e-shopfair.co.uk/Callaway-RAZR-X-Irons-for-sale-1175.htm
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

» FS : Brand new Apple iPhone 5 64gb, Blaclberry Porsh..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Get the brand new Apple Tablet iPad 2 16GB(Wi-Fi + 3G) for sale..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Nikon price list
by angelaz Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Top posters
simmon (5065)
Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_vote_lcapFinding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_voting_barFinding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_vote_rcap 
CY (4153)
Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_vote_lcapFinding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_voting_barFinding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? I_vote_rcap 
maxgoh (2938)
jonathan (1520)
Jameslye (1072)
Fred (964)
Hanne (935)
derricklim (791)
changshong (721)
Avex (656)

Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens??

+2
maxgoh
TK Tan
6 posters

Go down

Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? Empty Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens??

Post by TK Tan Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi, I would like to ask a question. My kit lens (18-55mm) is a fairly simple lens without a distance scale on it. Is it possible to find the hyperfocal distance and make sure my landscape pic is pin sharp from foreground to infinity without a built-in distance scale?

I have searched google but the explanations are just too technical.

For example, my lens is set to 18mm focal length and I wanted to shoot in f/11. According to the hyperfocal distance chart, the reading is 4.8ft. Does it mean I should focus on something (an object perhaps) approx 4.8ft away from my camera, lock the focus (by switching it to MF), recompose then shoot in f/11, and everything from 2.4ft to infinity will be pin sharp?

Is this the correct way to do this without a built-in distance scale on my lens?

Thanks for the advice.
TK Tan
TK Tan
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? Empty Re: Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens??

Post by maxgoh Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:54 pm

wah too technical liao, i dont get what you mean....my inlish no so good.
maxgoh
maxgoh
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

http://www.maxgohphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens?? Empty Re: Finding Hyperfocal Distance with kit lens??

Post by jonathan Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 pm

errrrr u the master u also dono... how bout ask sifu? wtf
jonathan
jonathan
Generalissimo
Generalissimo

Back to top Go down

Post by TK Tan Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 am

just trying my luck here see anybody can help me or not Laughing

I posted this yesterday in Photomalaysia oso no 1 reply me yet
TK Tan
TK Tan
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by simmon Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 pm

A tough question, need to be informative Razz
simmon
simmon
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

http://simmoncheong.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KH Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:42 pm

Wah.. need to be so technical meh? Very Happy

For me I see nice place just compose & shoot until I satisfy lo... anyway v r not gonna zoom in 100% to check any spot is out of focus in the pic when we enjoy our pic oso... as long as overall looks clear & sharp is enuf for me..

we enjoy the art we shoot not so much on the technical details behind it wat... anyway I just my thoughts lol! seems like I talk too much Razz cabut!!
KH
KH
Soldier
Soldier

http://imagin0.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TK Tan Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 pm

KH wrote:Wah.. need to be so technical meh? Very Happy

For me I see nice place just compose & shoot until I satisfy lo... anyway v r not gonna zoom in 100% to check any spot is out of focus in the pic when we enjoy our pic oso... as long as overall looks clear & sharp is enuf for me..

we enjoy the art we shoot not so much on the technical details behind it wat... anyway I just my thoughts lol! seems like I talk too much Razz cabut!!
Actually for my landscape shots, i often zoom in 100% to see the details. Most of them come out unsatisfied.
TK Tan
TK Tan
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by KH Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:37 pm

did u use tripod for the shots? can u post some example shots here? thnx!
KH
KH
Soldier
Soldier

http://imagin0.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TK Tan Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:01 am

I havent have a chance to try out. Btw someone replied me in other forum. I'll just quote it here for sharing purpose.

digitalartist @ PhotoMalaysia

"To calculate the Hyperfocal distance, HF charts and calculators usually asks for your lens focal length and the aperture that you intend to use. Assuming your camera body is a Kwannon cropped frame sensor, and you have an 18mm lens, and you set it at f/11, the hyperfocal distance is given as 5 ft

If you focus on a subject that is 10 feet away, my Kwanon Hyperfocal Calculator says the near limit of the DOF or zone of sharp focus will be approximately from 3.3 ft to infinity. As the subject is 10 feet away, this means that everything about 6.7ft in front of the subject will be in sharp focus.(i.e. 10ft minus 3.3ft equals to 6.7ft.) Everything behind the subject to infinity will be in focus.

If you now focus the lens on something at the hyperfocal distance of 5 ft away, the DOF or zone of sharp focus will extend from 2.5 ft to infinity. Everything from 2.5ft to infinity, including that subject 10 ft away will be in sharp focus.

If you've done your reading and you find it too complicated to understand, just note and memorize the fact that if you have an 18mm lens with the aperture set at f/11, you will need to focus at an object 5ft away (the hypefocal distance) and after that simply ensure that everything you want to be in sharp focus is not nearer than 2.5 from your lens.

The DOF is wider at smaller aperturers.

At an aperture of f/16, with the same 18mm, if you focus at the hyperfocal distance of 3.5 ft, the DOF extends from 1.8ft to infinity.

At f/22. the hyperfocal distance is 2.53 ft and the DOF extends from 1.26ft to infinity.

So the smaller the aperture, the wider will be the DOF, and if you focus at the HF distance you've noted, and you use smaller and smaller apertures, you'll be able to get a wider and wider zone of sharp focus, with everything nearer and nearer staying in sharp focus.

Assuming there's enough light, setting your focus at the hyperfocal distance at an aperture of, say, f/11. will be an ideal setting for street shooters. Get a Red dot camera, set the focusing at the HF distance for F/11, and you can simply fire away without even looking thru the view finder in order to get properly focussed pictures.

Sounds complicated but we gave a very detailed demonstration of this at the PMPE. To make things easier, just work out the Hyperfocal distances at various apertures for each of your (prime) lens. A zoom lens, besides giving you less sharp images, makes life too complicated with hyperfocal distances."
TK Tan
TK Tan
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by changshong Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:03 am

I think you can try to use your A-DEP function come with your camera.. and remember to activate all focus point.. best you can make the shot on a tripod with count down timer/remote.. aperture at 11 seems very nice...

Will wait for your sample pics.. good question you ask there.. hope that more ppl can share their experience
changshong
changshong
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down