Photonian
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 303 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 am
Latest topics
» for sale Samsung Galaxy S5 Unlocked 32GB-$400elogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 am

» for sale Apple iPhone 6 16GB — $450USDelogailmezoo@gmail.com
by clark123 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 am

» F/S Apple iPhone 6 16GB New Factory Unlocked $375
by kainelag9 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 pm

» For Sale Unlocked Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus 16GB/64G/128GB $800
by mjohnvictor01 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 pm

» Canon EOS 5D Mark III , Nikon D800E 36.3MP (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Samsung Galaxy S5,BLACKBERRY PORSCHE DESIGN P9981 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

» Apple iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G 128GB,Apple iPad 4 (bestbuysales00@gmail.com)
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 am

» Original Apple Iphone 5S 64GB Unlocked $350
by dorome Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 am

» Indian Landscape & Travel Photography
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm

» Can TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood meet your standard?(www.ausgolfsets.com)
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm

» You can definitely run away with Callaway RAZR X(www.e-shopfair.co.uk) PINEHURST, N.C. -- Comparisons were inevitable with the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open being held on the same [url=http://www.e-shopfair.co.uk/Callaway-RAZR-X-Irons-for-sale-1175.htm
by Lindas888 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

» FS : Brand new Apple iPhone 5 64gb, Blaclberry Porsh..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Get the brand new Apple Tablet iPad 2 16GB(Wi-Fi + 3G) for sale..contact us at(goodsales03@gmail.com)
by larry001 Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am

» Nikon price list
by angelaz Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Top posters
simmon (5065)
10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_vote_lcap10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_voting_bar10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_vote_rcap 
CY (4153)
10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_vote_lcap10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_voting_bar10 Top Photography Composition Rules I_vote_rcap 
maxgoh (2938)
jonathan (1520)
Jameslye (1072)
Fred (964)
Hanne (935)
derricklim (791)
changshong (721)
Avex (656)

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

+12
dennyoon
zongzien
mattchoo
markchew
Fred
Jameslye
sohchong
maxgoh
Fel
angelagan
CY
Hanne
16 posters

Go down

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Empty 10 Top Photography Composition Rules

Post by Hanne Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:47 pm

1.Rule of Thirds
Imagine that your image is divided into nine equal segments by two vertical and two horizontal lines. Try to position the most important elements in your scene along these lines, or at the points where they intersect. Doing so will add balance and interest to your photo. Some cameras even offer an option to superimpose a rule of thirds grid over the LCD screen, making it even easier to use.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-rule-of-thirds

2. Balancing Elements
Placing your main subject off-centre, as with the rule of thirds, creates a more interesting photo, but it can leave a void in the scene which can make it feel empty. You should balance the 'weight' of your subject by including another object of lesser importance to fill the space.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-balancing

3.Leading Lines
When we look at a photo our eye is naturally drawn along lines. By thinking about how you place lines in your composition, you can affect the way we view the image, pulling us into the picture, towards the subject, or on a journey 'through' the scene. There are many different types of line - straight, diagonal, curvy, zigzag, radial etc - and each can be used to enhance our photo's composition.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-leading-lines

4.Symmetry and Patterns
We are surrounded by symmetry and patterns, both natural and man-made, and they can make for very eye-catching compositions, particularly in situations where they are not expected. Another great way to use them is to break the symmetry or pattern in some way, introducing tension and a focal point to the scene.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-symmetry-patterns

5.Viewpoint
Before photographing your subject, take time to think about where you will shoot it from. Our viewpoint has a massive impact on the composition of our photo, and as a result it can greatly affect the message that the shot conveys. Rather than just shooting from eye level, consider photographing from high above, down at ground level, from the side, from the back, from a long way away, from very close up, and so on.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-viewpoint

6.Background
How many times have you taken what you thought would be a great shot, only to find that the final image lacks impact because the subject blends into a busy background? The human eye is excellent at distinguishing between different elements in a scene, whereas a camera has a tendency to flatten the foreground and background, and this can often ruin an otherwise great photo. Thankfully this problem is usually easy to overcome at the time of shooting - look around for a plain and unobtrusive background and compose your shot so that it doesn't distract or detract from the subject.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-background

7.Create Depth
Because photography is a two-dimensional medium, we have to choose our composition carefully to conveys the sense of depth that was present in the actual scene. You can create depth in a photo by including objects in the foreground, middle ground and background. Another useful composition technique is overlapping, where you deliberately partially obscure one object with another. The human eye naturally recognises these layers and mentally separates them out, creating an image with more depth.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-sense-of-depth

8.Framing
The world is full of objects which make perfect natural frames, such as trees, archways and holes. By placing these around the edge of the composition you help to isolate the main subject from the outside world. The result is a more focussed image which draws your eye naturally to the main point of interest.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-framing

9.Cropping
Often a photo will lack impact because the main subject is so small it becomes lost among the clutter of its surroundings. By cropping tight around the subject you eliminate the background 'noise', ensuring the subject gets the viewer's undivided attention.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Composition-cropping

10.Experimentation
With the dawn of the digital age in photography we no longer have to worry about film processing costs or running out of shots. As a result, experimenting with our photos' composition has become a real possibility; we can fire off tons of shots and delete the unwanted ones later at absolutely no extra cost. Take advantage of this fact and experiment with your composition - you never know whether an idea will work until you try it.

Composition in photography is far from a science, and as a result all of the 'rules' above should be taken with a pinch of salt. If they don't work in your scene, ignore them; if you find a great composition that contradicts them, then go ahead and shoot it anyway. But they can often prove to be spot on, and are worth at least considering whenever you are out and about with your camera.
Hanne
Hanne
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Empty Re: 10 Top Photography Composition Rules

Post by CY Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Good tips from Hanne! Thanks for sharing. I would suggest moderator to pin this up for future references.
CY
CY
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

Back to top Go down

10 Top Photography Composition Rules Empty Re: 10 Top Photography Composition Rules

Post by Hanne Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

welcome Cy as a photographer we must know all this composition rules... i am still learning those composition rules... Smile
Hanne
Hanne
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by CY Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeap, many I've not seen or heard before. Good that you've shared this for us to learn Very Happy.
CY
CY
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by angelagan Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanksss for sharing....very Good tips Smile
angelagan
angelagan
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Fel Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 pm

thanks hanne!~ now i know what cy meant about the rule of thirds at the gathering after pc fair.
Fel
Fel
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by CY Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't recall telling you about rule of third butta. It was the reciprocal rule! Meaning to avoid hand shake, the recommended shutter speed is 1/(effective focal length). In your case, your recommended is 1/75 and above since you're using a 50mm on a crop sensor. Of course, with the advancement in technology such as IS/VR etc, you can break this rule. But your lens don't have these... so that explain why a lot of handshake >.<
CY
CY
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Fel Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:46 pm

rule of third also got..you didnt tell me about it but u asked me if i know about it.

u asked me :'dont you know about the rule of third?' after looking at my compositions ahhaha it was before we talked about the shutter speed...CY getting old le
Fel
Fel
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by maxgoh Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:09 pm

thanks hanne.....this is the RULES of photography. yes sir
maxgoh
maxgoh
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

http://www.maxgohphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CY Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Fel wrote:rule of third also got..you didnt tell me about it but u asked me if i know about it.

u asked me :'dont you know about the rule of third?' after looking at my compositions ahhaha it was before we talked about the shutter speed...CY getting old le
Rule of third not meh lehhh! I confirm I didn't explain that >.<! Nor I recalled commenting about composition wor, only commented about the shutter and handshake :S.
CY
CY
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by sohchong Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Hanne ...many many thanks what a good share from u .... cheers

sohchong
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Fel Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:20 pm

CY wrote:
Rule of third not meh lehhh! I confirm I didn't explain that >.

iyshk already said u didnt explain lo...u just asked me if i heard of it coz my composition CMI haha
Fel
Fel
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanne Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Fel wrote:thanks hanne!~ now i know what cy meant about the rule of thirds at the gathering after pc fair.

maxgoh wrote:thanks hanne.....this is the RULES of photography. yes sir

sohchong wrote:Hanne ...many many thanks what a good share from u .... cheers

welcome welcome together we learn together we share... photonian spirit Smile
Hanne
Hanne
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jameslye Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Hanne good job!! i am learning now Smile
Jameslye
Jameslye
General
General

http://www.lebainspa.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Nice sharing there Hanne~ Good Job... The 11th rule after u mastered all the above -- Break all the rules above and develop ur own style~! Smile
Fred
Fred
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by markchew Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Good job Hanne~the RULES of photography~

markchew

Back to top Go down

Post by mattchoo Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Cool, golden words for photography cheers
mattchoo
mattchoo
Soldier
Soldier

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12419568@N06

Back to top Go down

Post by zongzien Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Nice sharing and a good tutorial ^^
zongzien
zongzien
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by dennyoon Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:15 pm

wow.. have to learning a lot from it! thx hanne!
dennyoon
dennyoon
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by kenn_wai Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 pm

wah...good good good...transfer to my brain now...hahaha
kenn_wai
kenn_wai
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelwee Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

CY wrote:Good tips from Hanne! Thanks for sharing. I would suggest moderator to pin this up for future references.

Thanks Hanne sharing this tips.

CY, u Help moderator to pin this up loh~ Cool
Angelwee
Angelwee
Captain
Captain

http://angelwee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CY Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Hello Lao Shi,

In case you didn't notice I no longer have access in this area. You should do it Smile.
CY
CY
Space Ensign
Space Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by timothy Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:35 am

http://aphotocontributor.typepad.com/aphotocontributor/2008/10/the-golden-ratio.html

some info as well....
timothy
timothy
Captain
Captain

http://timothyphotoblog.blogspot.com/  https://www.facebook.com/p

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanne Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 am

welcome welcome...will share more info with u guys Smile
Hanne
Hanne
Colonel
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanlow Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:14 am

very nice... thanks for sharing...

ivanlow
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down